Who would attempt to fly with
the tiny wings of the sparrow
when the mighty power of the
eagle has been given to him?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beautiful

Yesterday I led a group of young women in a yoga class. There were eight young ladies, two of them being my own daughters, who showed up. Music is important to me and I always have what I consider a great play list going for my classes. Especially when I am teaching kids, they respond to music, its their thing. So be it from the Glee soundtrack or something new I use what I think they will respond to, to help me get their attention.

These group of girls ranged in age 12 to 15. They came in very giggly but ready to go with great attitudes. We went through most of the 45 minute class, (any longer and I was afraid I would lose them), and just as we are getting ready for shivasana, the hardest pose of the day for energetic, healthy young girls of summer, Christina Aguilera's song Beautiful comes on. (I encouraged singing along to the play list if at anytime the feeling came to them but before that I think no one wanted to be the one to blurt anything out other than, 'oh, I love this song!') All of the sudden these girls all at once just started singing at the top of their lunges, loud and proud. It was as the song is entitled, so beautiful. I could have cried. Yes girls! This is the goal! Be yourselves, free from what anyone else thinks, says or does. Independent, unafraid, courageous, free thinking, beautiful girls. After an hour of being on the mat together they were all united. Great positive energy flowing through the room, from them and for them. It was a moment I will never forget. After the song was over they miraculously settled down immediately and got right into relaxation, almost like exuding that last bit of energy did the trick. they ended with hands at heart center, in a bow with a Namaste. A little step closer to having them all be in their own 75 degree, sunny with a breeze world.

 Read the lyrics the girl's belted out

Every day is so wonderful
And suddenly, i saw debris
Now and then, I get insecure
From all the pain, I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring me down
So don't you bring me down today

To all your friends, you're delirious
So consumed in all your doom
Trying hard to fill the emptiness
The piece is gone left the puzzle undone
That's the way it is

You are beautiful no matter what they say
Words can't bring you down
You are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring you down
Don't you bring me down today...

No matter what we do
(no matter what we do)
No matter what they say
(no matter what they say)
When the sun is shining through
Then the clouds won't stay


And everywhere we go
(everywhere we go)
The sun won't always shine
(sun won't always shine)
But tomorrow will find a way
All the other times

'cause we are beautiful no matter what they say
Yes, words won't bring us down, oh no
We are beautiful in every single way
Yes, words can't bring us down
Don't you bring me down today

Don't you bring me down today
Don't you bring me down today 

No comments:

Post a Comment