Who would attempt to fly with
the tiny wings of the sparrow
when the mighty power of the
eagle has been given to him?

Monday, December 13, 2010

Practice




Practice, Practice, Practice.  Not only is it necessary for you to give everything you’ve got when practicing to be great in the sport of your choosing it is also what we all have to do in everyday life.

Yoga is a practice. It will never be perfect but it’s challenging yourself to give your personal best every time.  As well as understanding that every time is different. Sometimes postures that are difficult will open right up for you. Sometimes, you can’t for the life of you stand on one foot. Who knows why? The important thing is to not beat your self up about what you can or cannot do and move on. Try, try again tomorrow.

This holds true with everything in life. Our faith, our relationships, our own happiness. We have to practice getting it right everyday. No one is perfect. Forgive our selves and each other our shortcomings. Fell off the horse? Shake it off and get back on and don’t look back.

I tell my kids when they are in a bad mood, fake it till you make it. Put a smile on your face. Just try it. It may not feel comfortable at first. That’s ok; you don’t have to be on 100 percent every minute of everyday. You are human, but keep trying.

I conducted a little experiment at the mall the other day.  Its holiday time, stress is high, funds are flying out the door. Not everyone is feeling the Christmas spirit at all times. I certainly didn’t feel like being in the crowded mall. So I walked around with a smile on my face and didn’t avoid eye contact with the people I passed by. My thinking was if my positive attitude could make someone else smile then it would make me feel better about being there. I wasn’t running around staring at people with a big dumb grin on my face, I just casually went about my business with a pleasant smile. I remember my Dad saying to me on picture day in first grade as I was leaving for school he said, “Don’t forget to smile with your eyes. That’s the real smile.” I always remembered that and when I am being my authentic self it shows in the smile in my eyes.

I was waiting on the incredibly long line at Starbucks to get a little caffeine in me with my smile on my face and this nice older gentleman waiting over by the pick up counter said across the store, “What a beautiful smile you have! Don’t ever loose that!” I almost cried! It worked; someone was actually affected by my little experiment. I have to say it put a spring in my step and I went about my business happy to be alive and well and at the mall during another beautiful Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment