Who would attempt to fly with
the tiny wings of the sparrow
when the mighty power of the
eagle has been given to him?

Saturday, January 29, 2011

I’m on the road to Shambala…



Just be good and do good…Swami Sivanandaji

On my way home from an amazing, exhilarating, beautiful and exhausting Yoga training in San Diego. It was such a great experience. Kristin, the teacher who I did my very first training with in 2006 was the teacher for this master class. Very fitting that the teacher who changed everything for me was the same teacher for this very profound training.

In 1998 I took my first yoga class at an adult Ed class at the local high school. My kids were small and my stress was high and I loved it from the start. It took me to where I needed to go. I new it would always be a part of my life in some way.
In 2006 my kids were in the process of demoting me from manager to consultant. I was living a very blessed life but I still wasn’t feeling satisfied. Something was missing. I had everything I could ever want, happy marriage, healthy kids, nice house and great friends, life was great! So what was wrong with me? Why wasn’t I completely happy? I went to that first training and I started on my path to finding the answer to that and many more questions I didn’t even know needed answering. It was a life changing experience to say the least.

Cut to 2011, I am still on the path I started years ago, (and God willing, I will be learning and growing my practice for the rest of my life.) I went out to a Yoga Fit Mind, Body Fitness Conference in San Diego/Del Mar. Kristin, who was the one who taught that first training that started it all for me was teaching this master class along with her assistant Robin. This class focusing more on the history and philosophy of yoga. The good stuff! I couldn’t wait. Our group of merry Yogi’s met on day one and unlike the feeling of uncertainty I had walking into that first training, by the time your signing up for this class, you know you are dedicated and will be with like minded people who aren’t just dipping their toe in the yoga water.

Kristin and Robin did not disappoint. They led us through difficult poses while teaching us Sanskrit along the way with patience and humor. We had deep, meaningful conversations and they helped all of us take our practice to a more meaningful level.
At many times over the course of the training I had moments where I felt like I had known these people before. A few of us played the ‘Did we meet at…?’ Positive we had met before at some place and time. We all shared this sense of familiarity. There was a connection between our group. We supported, inspired and encouraged each other throughout the training.

At several times throughout we chanted together and listened to and sang along to beautiful devotional mantras. I found myself wiping away a tear or two feeling the vibration of Om mani padme hum resonating deep within my heart. The translation is ‘May the jewel of the lotus shine forth to unite us all.’ And it did. We took part in a Kirtan, (sort of like a community chant), with other classes, reinforcing that feeling of unity we all shared. Kristin’s beautiful voice leading us all. No one was embarrassed or self-conscious just happy to be there, being a part of it all. Felicia Marie Tomasko who is this really cool chick who is the editor of LA Yoga came in to talk to us about among other things, the Gunas. We listened to her with rapt attention and when her time with us was up it felt like a minute. We could have listened all day.

At the end we sat in our imperfect circle, (it seemed to always resemble more of an egg for some reason). Kristin had to leave after our last practice together, (which was a beautiful practice BTW) and watching her go, I realized I was happy to get to go home later myself but sad to say goodbye all the same. Coming to trainings, retreats, practicing regularly, it just reinforces my belief and devotion for what I’m doing. What everyone there is doing. Just making our little corners of the world a little bit happier, nicer, peaceful.  The Yoga Fit program is cool because just like Yoga, it guides you but it is up to you to make your practice what you want it to be. They don’t tell you, now you have to do these poses, in this order to this music. It’s more like here is ALL THIS INFORMATION…now go forth and be good and do good. The program, although supportive of its students allows you to be your own yogaself.

Robin let us know that she had posted on her Facebook page the night before ‘These people make me want to be better.’  I think we all felt that way so right back at ya Robin. Looking through the Training Manual afterwards I wrote down little bits of wisdom that I picked up along the way. Things like, ‘Read the Dharma of Star Wars’, check out MC Yogi’s Chakra Beat Box, Jeffrey Armstrong Vedic Avatar!(rewatch movie!!) (PS. Avatar was the movie on the plane on my way home. Coincidence?HMMM)
 And, MAKE FOUR SONG PLAYLIST!!!! Everything changes! Pick attachments wisely! YOGA STARTS NOW!

I walked along the cliff looking at the Pacific after we were through. The sun was setting and I was feeling like it was 73 degrees with a slight breeze. Almost my perfect weather! (See blog #1!) A very inspiring few days. Lots of ideas to keep new classes fresh and fun and more meaningful as well as silly and cool and just a good workout if that’s what we’re looking for on any particular day. It’s all ok! Happy to have my ‘Satch’ book, (as Kristin lovingly referred to The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali), to keep finding inspiration in. Leaving you with a little something from Sri Swami Satchidananda

Everyday let us check our progress and see that we grow a little better. Every day should elevate us a little, broaden our attitudes, reduce our selfishness and make us better masters over our own body, senses and mind. This is the kind of Yoga that will really help us. And let that highest goal toward which Patanjali’s Sutras point be our goal: that one day we should all attain the highest Samadhi, the totally liberated state. This liberation is not for the remote future or for when we die; it is to be lived in the very midst of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment