Who would attempt to fly with
the tiny wings of the sparrow
when the mighty power of the
eagle has been given to him?

Monday, June 7, 2010

My Relationship with myself. A work in progress.




My relationship with myself fluctuates like a high school romance. One day you’re up the next day your down. I think I broke up with myself this morning but I’m trying to get back together. Maybe I will pass myself a note in gym. One day you are moving forward in a positive direction. Clapping yourself on the back, you don’t need to seek anyone’s approval or opinion, you know what to do and who you are and all is right with the world. You are on your way and it is 75 degrees and sunny with a slight breeze.

Then out of the blue everything changes maybe a miscommunication or a word from someone and you get that funny feeling in your stomach that something is not quite right and you begin to worry and doubt. When that starts to happen you find even your best relationships with other people is turning needy and attention seeking instead of even keeled and easy. It has nothing to do with anyone else. It all stems from your relationship with yourself. If you don’t have a healthy relationship with yourself, it is impossible to have a healthy relationship with anyone else.

How do I get a healthy relationship with myself? You can start by taking time out of your day for yourself. It is not being selfish, its nurturing your soul, which is imperative for a good relationship with ones self. If you forget to take time out for you, you can become run down and resentful which doesn’t do anyone any good. Take time out for exercise. Sit in nature if you can or a comfy place at home and just be still. Take deep breaths. Relax to music, walk on the beach. Get to know yourself not as someone’s spouse or parent or friend or child but you without the costume.

It is definitely a work in progress and something you have to remind yourself to come back to this place. Whenever you are trying to master a new activity, golf, knitting, cooking, loving yourself, it takes time and practice to get it down. Keep trying, your worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment