Who would attempt to fly with
the tiny wings of the sparrow
when the mighty power of the
eagle has been given to him?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Meditation Anytime, Anywhere.


It is indeed a radical act of love to sit down and be quiet for a time by yourself.-Jon Kabat Zinn
Meditation is just another way of ‘paying attention’. Looking back in my life I think I first started my meditation practice in 10th grade math class. Completely disinterested in the subject at hand I would sit there looking at the board, bored and go somewhere else. My teacher didn’t appreciate it; she told my mom she thought I was high. HA! I guess I was really good at it.

That wasn’t the best place to start my practice but what it did teach me was that you could meditate anywhere, anytime if you can “go there”.

I use meditation on long walks, runs, bike rides and swims.  You don’t have to be sitting crossed legged in a room with a candle chanting. I can take a few minutes when I am waiting in the doctor’s office, stuck in traffic or any other time that you would generally think, ‘this is a waste of my time’. Instead use that time for a little meditation practice. Can you imagine getting to the DMV and saying “OH YAY! Look at the line!!”

Most people start a meditation practice because they are feeling pain or stress. If this is the case you have an opportunity to say to yourself, I am really thankful that happened to me. If it didn’t I would never have sought out this practice that has changed my life! So the very thing that caused you stress or pain you can now see as a gift that gave you something great for yourself.

Meditation is non denominational. You don’t have to be Buddhist; you can be Catholic, Christian, Jewish or atheist. Everyone can meditate and a form of mediation is already in every religion. Give up the notion that you are going to have an enlightened revelation while meditating. Nothing needs to happen because it has already happened. You have taken some time out of your day to be more mindful and pay attention to your breath. Congratulations, you’re on the road to enlightenment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment